Personal Story Project
Teen Health & Wellness offers teens an opportunity to share their personal stories for online publication.
Sharing stories is a powerful way to connect with other people. By sharing their own personal stories, teens can connect with others who are dealing with the same challenges that they are. If a story is accepted for publication, it will be published online in Teen Health & Wellness. All published authors will also receive a certificate of achievement from Rosen Publishing and a monetary gift.
See real examples of teen personal stories in the menu to the left. You can view all stories on our archive page.
What have you had to deal with or overcome? Write from your personal experiences. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Identify a situation or challenge that changed your life.
- What was it like and how did it make you feel?
- How did you deal with the problem or find a way to live with it?
- What did you learn about yourself and those around you?
- What advice do you have for another teen going through the same thing?
- Suggested story length: 250–1,000 words.
- You must be 13–19 years old to be published. Authors will be identified by first name only—unless you request anonymity.
- Choose your words wisely. We can’t publish slurs or profanity.
- We can’t return submissions, so keep a copy for yourself.
- We need parent/guardian permission if you’re under 18. We’ll send you a form to include with your submission if it’s accepted. Just fill it out and send it back, even if you get published anonymously or under a pseudonym.
- Include the following originality statement at the end of each submission: “This will certify that the above work is completely original,” followed by your full name to affirm this is your work.
- Request anonymity. If you don’t want your name published, due to the personal nature of a piece, we will of course respect your request, but you still must include name and address information.
- Writing may be edited, and we reserve the right to publish our edited version without your prior approval.
- All works submitted become the property of Rosen Publishing and all copyrights are assigned to Rosen Publishing. We retain the non-exclusive rights to publish all such works in any format.
Download the Personal Story Project Guidelines flyer here.
Submit a personal story here. New personal stories are added to Teen Health & Wellness on an ongoing basis. Teens can send us a personal story at any time.
If an essay is selected for the database, teen writers will receive a certificate of achievement from Rosen Publishing and a $25 gift certificate to Barnes & Noble or Chapters.
Please contact us if you have questions or want additional details about the Personal Story Project.
Promotion & Programming Ideas For Educators/Librarians
- Promote the Personal Story Project via email or on your school or library website by linking to the Share Your Story page.
- Share this Personal Story Project Flyer with your teens, which includes complete details of the program, guidelines, and submission instructions.
- Apply this lesson plan on Editing and Writing for Publication to our Personal Story Project, so students can learn how to write and edit material for publication, based on specific submission requirements.
- Use the Personal Story Project to support a variety of teen programming activities such as:
- writing contests
- preparation for college application essays
- journaling exercises
- empowerment workshops